• foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto

Welcome!

 
 
 

See all of today's events

 
 

Museum of Natural History

musei

Facebook

Minerals, fossils, botanical and ethnographical collections related also the Paleo-Veneto.
Built in the 13th century, the Fontego dei Turchi is one of the most interesting palaces on the Grand Canal.
Purchased in 1381 by the Duke of Ferrara, it was used from 1641 as a warehouse by Turkish merchants trading in the lagoon. Gradually falling into a state of disrepair as commerce declined, it was restored to its former splendour thanks to the interest of the poet and art critic John Ruskin, at the beginning of the 19th century.

The renovated Museum has opened again on 10 March 2010 and the rooms open to the public have increased in number from the previous two up to eleven.

On the gound floor, as well as the ticket office and museum shop, tvisitors find in the long east and west wings on the one side a wide space for temporary exhibitions and on the other the cetacean gallery, or rather the exhibition of the skeletons of a large finback, a sperm whale and other small cetaceans on the ceiling. Also the Aquarium of the Tegnue with fish, molluscs, crustaceans and other organisms typical of the unusual rocky underwater zones off the Venetian coastline (known as the Tegnùe), and the game "sottAcqua", which is its educational component.

The second floor, used entirely as an exhibition space, houses the three main sections of the museum, considering natural history from three different viewpoints with a new and interesting museological approach, whilst still maintaining close links with the activity and scientific tradition of the museum and the city.

- On the tracks of Life
PALEONTOLOGY

- COLLECTING TO ASTONISH, COLLECTING FOR RESEARCH
Or the evolution of naturalist collecting
Venetian explorers
Museum and Science

- THE STRATEGIES OF LIFE

form and function in living things

The Museum of Natural History is getting ready to the opening of a new area, the Cetaceans Room, on January the 29, 2011

 

 

 

Address and Info

Address: Santa Croce 1730, 30135, Venezia

AreaVenezia, City Center, Santa Croce

Tel.: (+39)0412750206

Fax Number: (+39)0417210000

emailnat.mus.ve@fmcvenezia.it

Webhttp://www.msn.ve.it

Information

Info on accessibility: Exposition rooms completely suitable for disabled

Getting there: Line 1 stop San Stae

Opening times: From 1st June to 31th October 10am - 6pm; From 1st November to 31th May Tue - Fri 9am - 5pm; Sat - Sun 10am - 6pm. Last admission one hour before closing time. Closed on Mondays, 25th December, 1st January, 1st May

  • Venice for kids Venice for kids
  • Accessible for disabled people Accessible for disabled people

Prices

Full price: 8

Reduced price: 5.50

see also