• foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto

Welcome!

 
 
 

See all of today's events

 
 

The sestiere of Dorsoduro

itinerari

Facebook

It extends over the southern part of the city, starting with Punta della Dogana that juts out into the San Marco basin like the prow of a ship. The 'dogana da mar' (sea customs house) of the Venetian Republic was built in the seventeenth century and consists of many warehouses that are hidden behind the facade. It ends with the squere tower on top of which there are bronze statues that support the golden ball on which Fortune stands. After the tower, the Zattere begin: this is a long jetty that goes as far as Santa marta. It was built in 1516 to unload the timbre which rafts (zattere) brought down the rivers from the Cadore are

 

Punta della Dogana François Pinault Foundation
With its triangular shape, Punta della Dogana split the Grand Canal from the Giudecca Canal. As center for contemporary art , the former monumental port of the city present a permanent exhibition of works from François Pinault Collection.

 

Church of the Gesuati
The order of the Jesuits was suppressed in 1868 and the church and monastery were handed over to the Dominicans. In 1724 the architect Giorgio Massari was commissioned to build the new church. The inside has no side naves but contains altar pieces by
Piazzetta, Sebastiano Ricci and Gian Battista Tiepolo. The latter was also commissioned with decorating the ceiling with illustrations of the history of the Dominicans.

 

Church of San Trovaso
The current building dates back to the end of the sixteenth century and is in Palladian style. It contains works by Tintoretto, Palma il Giovane and Gianbono

 

Squero di San Trovaso
Located next to the church of San Trovaso, this is an unusual wooden structure that is similar to the house of the Cadore area on the mainland.
This was an old dwelling for the workers of the squero, a small shipyards for making gondolas. It dates back to the seventeenth century and has always been in operation. The fact that the workers often came from Cadore is the reason why the house is in the style of this mountanious area

 

Church of S. Sebastiano
This church was designed by Scarpagnino in the sixteenth century. In 1555 Paolo Veronese began to create the many paintings that adorn the sacristy, the ceiling of the central nave and the apse of the main altar. At the foot of the organ, which is also decorated with works by Veronese, a stone indicates the place were the artist is buried

 

Church of Angelo Raffaele
The foundation dates back to the seventh century shortly after Venice was first settled but the church was rebuilt in 1618. Inside, the organ nave contains a wash drawing by Giannantonio Guardi dated 1750 that depicts stories about Tobiolo.
Parts of this church and that of San Nicolò dei Mendicoli are the oldest in Venice.

 

Church of San Nicolò
One of Venice's oldest churches, it was founded by 'patavini' (inhabitants of Padua), who lived in the islands of the lagoon in the seventh century to escape the Lombard invasion. It was rebuilt in the twelfth century, and the central part of the facade dates back to
that period. The arch in the apse of the main altar is Byzantine

 

Palazzo Zenobio
This Palazzo was originally in Gothic style and belonged to the Morosini family. In the seventeenth century it was sold to the Zenobio family, who commissioned the architect Antonio Gaspari to completely renovate it. Inside, it is decorated with stuccoes by the Swiss plasterer Abbondio Stazio and with frescoes by Luigi Dorigny. The ballroom still contains the stand for the orchestra above the central door. Paintings by Carlevaris adorn the small portico. The fine classical portico overlooks the vast French style garden

 

Scuola Grande dei Carmini
The headquarters of the Carmelite lay confraternity that provided assistance and charity. It was also dedicated to the cult of the Virgin Mary and was officially estabilished in 1595. The current seat was built by Longhena in 1667 on pre-existing smaller buildings. In 1739 Tiepolo painted pictures for the ceiling of the albergo (great hall) with symbols of the Virgin Mary and Saint Simeon Stock receiving the scapular of the Carmelite Order from the Virgin

 

Santa Margherita Square
A picturesque campo surrounded by old fourteenth century palaces and the little church Santa Margherita, which is today a university auditorium. The old belltower still has Baroque stone decorations.


Ca' Rezzonico
One of the most beautiful Palaces in Venice, it was started by Longhena for the Bartolomeo Bon family in 1667. It was completed for the Rezzonico family (who had become joint owners) by Giorgio Massari, who made considerable modifications, such as the large staircase and the ballroom, which was decorated with frescoes by Crosato. Today, it is a museum dedicated to eighteenth century Venice and contains period pieces taken from other palazzi, the most famous of which is the carved furniture by Andrea Brustolon

 

San Barnaba square and Ponte dei Pugni bridge
This is a typical Venetian campo at which the boats selling vegetables coming from the islands moored. Nearby, there is the Ponte dei Pugni bridge. It takes its name from a spectacular dispute between two opposing Venetian factions, the Castellanis and the Nicolottis, who fought on the bridge and who left their footprints on it.