• foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto



See all of today's events


The sestiere of Cannaregio



The name has two possible origins: it may derive from Canal regio, i.e. the main canal for communicating with the mainland or else it may refer to extensive reed beds found there in the past. The railway station is named after Santa Lucia because it was built in the area of the church of Santa Lucia, destroyed following napoleon's edit in 1806. The building is number 1 of the district


Church of Santa Maria di Nazareth o dei Carmelitani Scalzi (Barefoot Carmelites)
This church was built in 1660 from a design by Baldassarre Longhena. The grandiose façade was created by Giuseppe Sardi. After an Austrian bomb exploded on 27 October 1915, the frescoed vault by Tiepolo collapsed. Today, only a few fragments remain in the Galleries of the Accademia di Belle Arti. In 1934 the ceiling was replaced, and it was adorned with a fresco by Ettore Tito. The first chapel of the right-hand nave has a vault frescoed by G.B.Tiepolo


Square and Church of San Geremia
The church houses the relics of Saint Lucy. The relics were previously housed in the church of Santa Lucia which has since been demolished.


Palazzo Labia
This palace was built at the end of the seventeenth century by the Labias, a family of rich Catalan merchants. The inside is decorated with frescoes by Tiepolo. It is now headquarters of the Italian State Television.


Church of San Giobbe (1450-70)
This church has a Renaissance portal by Pietro Lombardo. Inside it is decorated with the works of Tuscan artists such as Luca della Robbia.



The term 'ghetto' derives from the foundries that were found in the area in which the metal was 'gettato' or smelted. In 1509 it became the part of the city that was reserved for the Jews. They built their 'schole' or synagogues here. the first one was the Schola Tedesca (German Synagogue), which was built in 1528. It was followed by the Schola Canton and the Schola Italiana. The Schola Spagnola was rebuilt by Baldassarre Longhena. The German synagogue houses the museum of Jewish art and contains many fine religious exhibits


Mastelli Palace
A very pictouresque area with the near Campo dei Mori and palazzo Mastelli, also known as palazzo del Cammello because of the stone bas-relief on the façade overlooking the canal. The thirteenth century statues at the corners of the building commemorate three Arab merchants brothers known as Mastelli.


Church of the Madonna dell'Orto
Built towards the middle of the fourteenth centuryand first dedicated to Saint Christopher , it was later dedicated to the Virgin Mary after miraculously finding
On the left, the Ghetto square with its typical high buildings. Below, an engraving depicting Rioba, one of three brothers arabian merchants called Mastellia statue of the Virgin in a nearby garden. The church is a beautiful example of Venetian Gothic and hosts wotks by Tintoretto and Cima da Conegliano


Palazzo Vendramin Calergi
A fine example of Renaissance architecture. It was commissioned by the Loredans who inscribed the words 'Non nobis Domine' ('Not for our sake, Lord'), at the base of the façade. This is taken from the first verse of a psalm and was already used by the Knights Templars as a symbol of humility. The palazzo later came into the possession of the Calergi family and throught marriage into the possession of the Vendramin, which is why it has a double name. Wagner died there in 1883


Ca' d'Oro
It was built by Marino Contarini in 1441, who used the best stonemasons of his time. It is considered the most striking example of Venetian Gothic. It has a façade with polychrome marble moulding and certain elements were overlaid with gold, which was why it was called the ca' d'Oro. The palace at one point became the property of Baron Giorgio Franchetti who donated it to the State in 1916 and is now a museum, with works by Mantegna, paintings of Tuscan school and a beautiful collection of Renaissance bronzes


Oratorio dei Crociferi
This is a treasure trove of works by Palma il Giovane depicting the history of the religious order of the Crociferi, which was founded in the thirtheenth century and suppressed in the seventeenth century


Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli
Built around 1482 from a design by Pietro Lombardo. It is a fine example of Reinassance architecture, decorated with polychrome marble and bas-reliefs of sirens and tritons , which are unusual decorations for a church. It still has the small altar-piece painted by Nicolò di Pietro