Today in Venezia
Residence-museum of Vittorio Cini. Collection of 15th- and 16th-century Tuscan and Ferrarese paintings, period furniture, and silver, ivory and ceramic objects.
Located halfway between the Accademia and the Guggenheim, the sixteenth-century palazzo formerly owned by the Caldagno and Valmarana families (its main facade overlooking San Vio) and the adjacent Palazzo Loredan (its side elevation fronting on the Grand Canal) were the residence of Count Vittorio Cini, a famous financier and patron of the arts. In 1951 Count Cini created a distinguished foundation dedicated to his son Giorgio, converting the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore into a cultural centre. On his death in 1977 he left his exceptional art collections, parts of which were donated to the Giorgio Cini Foundation in 1984 by his daughter Yana (Venice 1924 - Rome 1989) along with the part of the palazzo which currently houses the gallery.
The antique furnishing and objets d'art on the first piano nobile recreate the building’s original character and the personal taste of this great collector. Alongside thirty paintings of the Tuscan school are some fine pieces of applied arts: ceramics, porcelain - including a complete 275-piece set by the eighteenth-century Venetian manufacturers, Cozzi -, ivory caskets and badges, enamels, gold-work, Murano candle-sticks and chandeliers, terra-cotta sculptures and furniture (dressers, chests, bookcases), a rare Sienese marriage-chest of the mid-fourteenth century and an eighteenth-century Neapolitan sedan-chair.
The second piano nobile of Palazzo Cini is reserved for temporary exhibitions and in recent years has been used to display works owned by the Foundation. A collection of fourteen paintings (oil on panel) by Ferrarese Masters of the Renaissance is currently on display there.
Address: San Vio, 864 , 30123, Venezia
Getting there: Line n.1, line n.2, stop Accademia
Opening times: Open for temporary exhibitions