Today in Venezia
The first floor of the Brotherhood's building (the Scoletta di San Nicolò, designed by Baldassare Longhena in the seventeenth century) housed the Hospital for Needy Greeks, which operated from 1678 to the beginning of the twentieth century. Later this area was converted into a museum of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine icons, inaugurated in 1959 and radically renovated in 1999. As well as a large number of icons it displays illustrated manuscripts, gold-embroidered church vestments belonging to the former archbishops of Philadelphia, as well as small craft works of great historical and artistic value. The collection was formed through donations by members of the Brotherhood and other individuals of Orthodox faith; many icons were transported to Venice by refugees, while others were painted by Greek artists in the city. Of exceptional interest are the works by Michele Damaskinòs, Georgios Klontzas, Emmanuel Lambardos, Theodoros Pulakis, and Emmanuel Tzanes Bounialìs. As well as valuable examples of the Cretan school of icon painting, there are works in the style of Constantinople from the time of the Palaiologan emperors, such as the Madonna and Child, the Apostles and Saints, and the icon of Christ "in glory" with the Apostles, which was brought from Constantinople and donated to the Brotherhood by a noble lady of Byzantium, Anna Palaiologina Notara.
Address: Castello 3412, 30122, Venezia
Fax Number: (+39)0415238248
Opening times: Open every day from 9am to 5pm. Last entrance 30 minutes before closing time Closed 25 December and 1 January
Reduced price for: students