Porta Garibaldi is the entrance to the town. In the past it was called “Gateway” or St. Mary’s tower, because of its closeness to the Cathedral dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta (St. Mary of the Assumption). The gateway dates back to 1530 and was originally part of the wall of fortifications erected to defend the town. The pediment has an effigy of the St. Mark’s lion. Porta Garibaldi leads to Chioggia’s main street: Corso del Popolo, called “Piazza” (square) by the inhabitants.