• foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto

Welcome!

 
 
 

See all of today's events

 
 

Itinerary of Ceggia. Traces of the past

itinerari

Facebook

The parish Church of San Vitale is situated at the beginning of via Roma, on the left hand coming from San Donà.

The first piece of news about a chapel dedicated to the Saint dates back to 1334 and a little bad-preserved building with his name to 1474.

Sources witness that the 1500s Church became parish in 1506 and the SS. Sacramento and the Baptismal font was part of it.

The actual church was re-built in the end of XVIII century and it is in neoclassical style. Originally it was composed by one nave, five marble altars and a choir placed beside the bell tower; but among 1871 and 1873 it was deeply modified.
The structure was lengthened, the east-west direction was twisted: the apse was demolished and substituted by a front pushed against the bell tower. A new choir was built.

In 1906 the central nave was extended with two laterals naves, while the apse was re-built in 1921, because it was destroyed during the First World War.

On the southern external wall, two different marble relieves are joined together to create a single frieze. Perhaps they are fragments of pluteus or sarcophaguses coming from Cittanova (Eraclea): on the left a deer drinks at the source, on the right Rose windows alternate to palms.

 

Inside: on the ceiling of the main nave, the great fresco shows the martyrdom and glory di San Vitale by Giovan Battista Canal (1745-1825). Despite the restoration (1983-1985) the painting enjoyment has been compromised irremediably by the variation of the church orientation: it is now illegible in the direction opposite to the altar.

The Fresco of the Immacolata, by Giacomo Casa (1835-1887) is, instead, in the direction of the altar.
A Great Deposition by Paolo de Lorenzi is placed on the wall of the choir, on the left.
The pendant shows the Natività and was stolen by Austrian in 1918 together to candlesticks, vestments, the organ and all the altar-pieces, including the San Vitale by Alessandro Toniolo sculptured 1400.

 

Along via Roma and going to the centre, on the right you can arrive to the pedestrian bridge on the river Piavon.
In the other side of the river, on the wall of an ancient house, a memorial tablet (1727) signposts the fluvial customs tolls.

On the centre of the inhabited the 1500s Villa Bragadin, Laverna-Trever now Sartorello. In the park is situated a well curb in late-Renaissance style, dated 1591.

 

The Bragadin Oratory, re-built in 1795 as a plaque on its façade testifies, can be reached by the road going to Cessalto.
The interior has the ceiling and apse with frescos dating back to the end of 18th century. A not-reliable story tells that the grave of Marcantonio Bragadin (1523-1571), governor of Cyprus killed by the Turks after the valiant defence of Famagosta, is here kept in a stone sarcophagus.

 

Going ahead on the way to Cessalto, there is a relief of the Madonna col Bambino stuck up on the doorway of the building close to the Bar Gambaro.

At Pra' Arca, in the middle of the front façade of an old farmhouse, you can see an interesting large fresco, unfortunately not so clear.
It is traditionally known as Padre Eterno, it has a large coat of arms in the upper part and, below, the Padre Eterno, the Madonna col Bambino and an Angel.

In the modern church of Gaianiga: Annunciation ascribed to Andrea Celesti (?), a gift given by the parishioners.

At Riva Zancana you can find the ruins of the piers and of the two sandstone bridgeheads of a Roman bridge on the ancient way of the Canalat-Piavon, discovered in 1949. This served the Via Annia, whose route is still clear, on the aerial photos, in the strip of land from the Grassaga stream to Pra' di Levada.

 

At Pra' di Levada, on the right side of the road going from Ceggia to Torre di Mosto, there is Villa Franchin (second half of 17th century), originally a property of the Augustinian convent of the Sisters of Santa Maria degli Angeli of Murano, who would have already received from the Da Camino family some lands in that area as a gift in the 13th century.
After the closure of the convent of Murano (1810), the estate and the building were purchased by private citizens.

The tympanum and bell-tower of the Pra' Levada Oratory, dedicated to the Beata Vergine del Rosario (also called of Santa Maria degli Angeli or of the Annunziata), overlook this road too.
This Oratory was erected in 1668 by order of the abbess Degnamerita Marcello, and re-built by Sante Giacomelli in 1853, as testified by the inscriptions placed on the left side of the entrance.
Inside there, a small altar in fired bricks with a painting of the Madonna con il Bambino.