• foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto

Welcome!

 
 
 

See all of today's events

 
 

Temple of Saint Martin

chiese

Facebook

This temple of Venetian-Gothic style has a particular cupola, octagonal outside and hemispherical inside. It was built in 1392 by the people of Sottomarina finding shelter in Chioggia, after the war of Chioggia between Venice and Genoa which caused the complete destruction, by the Genoese, in 1379 of Pellestrina and Sottomarina, then called Chioggia Minore. The church is dedicated to the Saint of Sottomarina in memory of the older and homonymous church. It had been built by using fired bricks; it has plenty of valuable architectonic elements, such as for example the ogival portal, cuspidate on its right side, the octagonal lantern with angular mullions, the pilaster strips, connected with frames and arks joined together and two precious polypthycs, attributed to Paolo Veneziano (1349). One of them tells episodes of the life of St. Martino, the other one episodes of the life of the Virgin. These are two of the most important and ancient art masterpieces in town.

Address and Info

Address: Corso del Popolo, Calle San Martino, 30015, Chioggia

AreaChioggia, Sottomarina, Centro