• foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto

Welcome!

 
 
 

See all of today's events

 
 

Saint Domenico Church

chiese

Facebook

Through the masonry bridge built on the homonym channel, you will reach the island where the Church of San Domenico stands. As Dominican centre it dates back to the 13th century; the present church has been built in 1745. The building on the left side of the church used to be a Dominican monastery, suppressed in 1770. On the right side there was formerly the lazaret. A bridge linked the island and Sottomarina. The Romanesque style bell tower was built in the 13th century as well. It is covered by square pilasters (square pillars placed on a wall) with double windows to the belfry.
The church has a single vaulted nave with side chapels. Inside the church we can admire very precious paintings: San Paolo, the last masterpiece signed by Vittore Carpaccio (1455-1526); The apparition of Jesus to St. Tommaso d'Aquino by Jacopo Robusti, known as Tintoretto (1518-94). The high altar is dominated by an impressive wooden Christ Crucified, which measures about 4 mt. in height and is traditionally an object of worship for the fishermen. The legend tells that this head of Christ, of Byzantine workmanship, was found in the sea and that the fishermen have then carved and adapted the trunk and the cross to it. The sculpture expresses a realistic sense of suffering and death.

Address and Info

Address: Isola di San Domenico, 30015, Chioggia

AreaChioggia, Chioggia, C.so del Popolo