• foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto
  • foto

Welcome!

 
 
 

See all of today's events

 
 

Concordia Sagittaria

Facebook

 

The excavations in Concordia started in the last century with the discovery, on the left side of the river Lemene, of a tomb of the IV – V century A.D, known as ‘Tomb of the Warriors’. In 381 AD building began on the ‘Basilica Apostolorum’ (underneath the Cathedral). The basilica was founded on a large Roman house of the first century AD The church was erected to house the relics of the apostles.

The Baptistry is a pearl of Romanesque-byzantine art. The construction was promoted by Bishop Regimpoto, in office between 1089 and 1105, whose sarcophagus can be found in the porch of the baptistry. It is a building of Greek plan formed by a central square with three apses on three sides and a porch on the fourth. Above the central square there is a circular drum with one window. The interior of the baptistry is enriched with a valuable series of contemporary frescos.